What's New Babes Board Galleries Free Videos Sex Cams myFreeOnes Reviews Various

Thread: PS3 Server Closures today

Blonde, brown, red, black I fuck them all. tvstrip's Avatar

PS3 Server Closures today

For anyone still playing on the PS3 (like myself), today is the last day you can play Playstation All-stars Battle Royale, Twisted Metal & Warhawk online as they are shutting down the severs as of today.

Some, like PSBR have some easy online trophies that you will miss forever (meaning you won't platinum it either) if you don't get them today, so if you have any of these game it might be worth going online!

Pain heals, chicks dig scars, Freeones lasts forever Torre82min's Avatar
    Giving up.. is on the rise. Fleshlight searches up 200%, dating tips down half
    Blog Entries

Re: PS3 Server Closures today

*shrug* It always pissed me off that so.. SOOOO very many trophies required online play.
    Inflated courage on the part of the developers, that they assumed anyone would play their titles online ~ or enough would play to team up.
    Too many times, even the biggest titles would have fuck-all for player population 6 or 12 months after the fact.
    Then you get the bullshit MMO's.. that all went F2P and still cant find player pop. Bad games? Not really. But Dust, Defiance, etc... at least get a pass for being online-oriented.

Twisted Metal was dead by 2013. The community of warhawk got divided in half cuz starhawk ~ some people just liked the simple controls, some didnt.
    I thought it was kinda cool, in a Star Fox 64 kinda way, that you could put up a decent fight no matter what you chose.

I think another thing that might have help kill it was the whole "online pass" thing where if you bought the game used you needed to pay extra for a "pass" to play online.
    I always buy my games new (I'm OCD that way) so it wasn't an issue for me, but I could see many used game played being turned off by this. I was ok with it since it wasn't the Nintendo model where you needed to buy a yearly subscription to play online.

What really I don't get is why PSAS Battle Royale didn't do better. Yes, it's a smash bros clone, but a damn good one.

I'm too lazy to set a usertitle.

Things like this are also a cautionary tale about the perils of how so many things are non-physical now and you don't technically own the things you pay for. All it takes is some company going under or a corporation not wanting to bother keeping the servers operational that run an old game and your screwed after that.

On the other hand, the disc reader/motor on the console is likely to fail before an HDD. The latter is just a simple matter of swapping while the motor has no easy fix AFAIK.

I debated this for a long time. Right now my solution is to make multiple external HDD backups so that I have a hard copy of every digital game on disk, so I can simply swap out the drive / do a quick recovery and have access to any digital game I own. It's the best solution I came up with.

19 Cents of Magical Cock FreeOnes_Adam's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by D-rock View Post
    Things like this are also a cautionary tale about the perils of how so many things are non-physical now and you don't technically own the things you pay for. All it takes is some company going under or a corporation not wanting to bother keeping the servers operational that run an old game and your screwed after that.
    This.
    "I have a new sig line." -Petra