PDA

View Full Version : Obama just fucked himself.

Sam Fisher
2012-01-05, 11:32
http://blog.heritage.org/2012/01/04/a-tyrannical-abuse-of-power-obama-attempts-to-appoint-cordray-to-cfpb/

Mayhem
2012-01-05, 11:35
No he didn't.

MrZiggles
2012-01-05, 11:55
He seems to have overstepped his authority a bit. He'll probably get away with it though.

Ike Stain
2012-01-05, 12:11
The previous administration got away with a straight-up invasion of a whole country based on fabricated evidence— I think the O-man will be able to slide on this one.

Baill Inneraora
2012-01-05, 12:12
The minority R's in the Senate wouldn't let it go for a vote......where in the Constitution does it say that minority rules the Senate?

Sam Fisher
2012-01-05, 12:16
The previous administration got away with a straight-up invasion of a whole country based on fabricated evidence— I think the O-man will be able to slide on this one.

Previous administration? You mean Congress. Because they authorized the war in Iraq, and Afghanistan.

Bearded_Menace
2012-01-05, 12:19
Previous administration? You mean Congress. Because they authorized the war in Iraq, and Afghanistan.

How convenient to lay the blame on Congress while Bush & Cheney were in office, but when Obama is in office Congress is suddenly some fictional entity that no one has ever heard of. Not saying Obama hasn't dropped the ball, but I sure as hell am not about to believe that those 8 years of ball dropping in the Bush/Cheney era was all Congress's fault.

DOA82
2012-01-05, 12:19
I have this image of an angry little man sat behind a keyboard while he feverishly scours the web wearing a tin foil hat for conspiracies.

A well polished gun rack is mounted on the wall behind him, the windows are boarded up, bottled water and freeze dried food piled high in the garage while just out of view a laser printer runs night and day printing a crazy mans newspaper that no one reads because he dare not leave the mountain fortress he resides in!

Sam Fisher
2012-01-05, 12:20
The minority R's in the Senate wouldn't let it go for a vote......where in the Constitution does it say that minority rules the Senate?

Huh?

This wasn't about votes. This was about the president appointing someone when Congress was still in session. The Constitution says "only when congress is NOT in session can a president appoint someone without a vote.

Mayhem
2012-01-05, 12:20
Are we going to discuss how Obama did or did not fuck himself? Or is this going to be just another Sam Fisher thread?

Sam Fisher
2012-01-05, 12:22
How convenient to lay the blame on Congress while Bush & Cheney were in office, but when Obama is in office Congress is suddenly some fictional entity that no one has ever heard of. Not saying Obama hasn't dropped the ball, but I sure as hell am not about to believe that those 8 years of ball dropping in the Bush/Cheney era was all Congress's fault.

Hey, CONGRESS is NOT a part of a president's administration. Get it?

zeeblofowl_1969
2012-01-05, 12:24

That statement is so stupid it shall be ignored.

zeeblofowl_1969
2012-01-05, 12:25
Hey, CONGRESS is NOT a part of a president's administration. Get it?

No shit freak show. Take a nap you might feel better. And cut back on the coffee.

Ike Stain
2012-01-05, 12:28

Yup. No repercussions for Congress either. See where I'm going with this?

You need to learn to step back and parse the information that coming at you. Just because a faction is screaming that an issue is a big deal does not make it so. If you don't believe me, lets see where this issue is 3 months from now.

Whit
2012-01-05, 12:29
That's what happens when you have a do nothing Congress.

Sam Fisher
2012-01-05, 12:30
I have this image of an angry little man sat behind a keyboard while he feverishly scours the web wearing a tin foil hat for conspiracies.

A well polished gun rack is mounted on the wall behind him, the windows are boarded up, bottled water and freeze dried food piled high in the garage while just out of view a laser printer runs night and day printing a crazy mans newspaper that no one reads because he dare not leave the mountain fortress he resides in!

Why must you (as a Mod) constantly stir shit up? If you can't stay on topic and let a debate run its course, please refrain from turning a perfectly good discussion into another of your "I am going to get you, Sam Fisher!" attempts. As a mod, your job certainly isn't to be a troll and come into perfectly good threads and run them off course, is it? I think not. The topic at hand is all over the news.

I respect the job the mods do in here. But you have an agenda with me, and this isn't the first time you've spouted off in my threads and or responded in a smart-ass kind of way concerning my replies.

Ike Stain
2012-01-05, 12:36
That's what happens when you have a do nothing Congress.

That's actually a salient point. A good campaigner (possibly Obama's greatest skill) would turn the issue around and use it to make the point that the Republicans are against the middle class, which is who you need to win the general election.

On the other side, at most, the appointment gets pulled. Not such a big deal, and the president still looks like he's fighting for the people.

IMO the current Administration can use anything to distract people from the NDAA Act he just signed which allows indefinite detention of American citizens with no charges. If anything
is going to fuck Obama, it will be stuff like that keeping the Left away from the ballot boxes next November.

Whit
2012-01-05, 12:36
I think Sam is right! The Republicans will never vote for Obama now... oh wait.....

DOA82
2012-01-05, 12:39
Why must you (as a Mod) constantly stir shit up? If you can't stay on topic and let a debate run its course, please refrain from turning a perfectly good discussion into another of your "I am going to get you, Sam Fisher!" attempts. As a mod, your job certainly isn't to be a troll and come into perfectly good threads and run them off course, is it? I think not. The topic at hand is all over the news.

I respect the job the mods do in here. But you have an agenda with me, and this isn't the first time you've spouted off in my threads and or responded in a smart-ass kind of way concerning my replies.

I'm a mod, but I'm also a member. If you are going to start calling out members who post in your threads with smart ass remarks, I have a long list of names just ready to copy and paste.

I don't have an agenda with you, I'm not scheming to set you up to be banned - I generally don't care what you post frankly. The chip on your shoulder is so damn big anyone who posts a contrary opinion to yours is the enemy or is" "out to get you".

Ike Stain
2012-01-05, 12:43
Possibly a more factual title and different source for the article would have resulted in less "flaming" replies.

"Obama makes a unconstitutional Agency appointment" which is fact, vs. "Obama just fucked himself" which is opinion based on spin.

It's like you think we don't know who the Heritage Foundation is or that the article titled "A Tyrannical Abuse of Power" is not an extreme exaggeration. It makes you seem like a tool for the propagandists as opposed to a critical thinker. There are intelligent people on the forum, mods included.

Ike Stain
2012-01-05, 12:45
;-)

Supafly
2012-01-05, 13:02
As Ike said... This sadly got into another flame-war, or is heading that way very fast.

Can we all breathe in and out and try to cool it down?

The topic is interesting, and I don't want to close the thread or something.

Jagger69
2012-01-05, 15:43
If it turns out to be a legal fact that congress is still officially in session, I predict the appointment will be negated. Otherwise, recess appointments are standard fare for all presidents so please stop shrieking that the sky is falling. In essence, how is the intent any different than this?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/08/01/AR2005080100436.html

:kettle:

That said....I am personally opposed to recess appointments and think they should be done away with. Fact is, they won't be.

PlasmaTwa2
2012-01-05, 15:53
So the official fuck-up count is now:

Obama: 1
Republican Party: somewhere around 17

Rey C.
2012-01-05, 15:54

As we saw last year with Rand Paul, even one (rogue) Senator can block legislation that has bipartisan support. Sen. Rand Paul blocks pipeline safety bill on principle (http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2011/09/sen_rand_paul_blocks_pipeline.html)

I think a lot of the Congressional rules that have been conjured up over the past 30-40 years need to be looked at... and done away with. And the way that the filibuster has been misused really needs to be looked at.

Hypergalaxy
2012-01-05, 18:24

:kettle:

PirateKing
2012-01-05, 22:29
Why does that make you happy?

monicasilver
2012-01-05, 22:45
I'm not sure if this is an issue or a non-issue. (The original point of this thread).

However, I'm amused when I see people excusing Obama because Bush did something. I think we can expect better. I wouldn't set the bar of a president at Bush (43) and just because you followed him doesn't give you a pass on anything.

This isn't a note on Obama, it is a note for the people who like to use the lame excuses.

Jagger69
2012-01-05, 22:57
I'm not sure if this is an issue or a non-issue. (The original point of this thread).

However, I'm amused when I see people excusing Obama because Bush did something. I think we can expect better. I wouldn't set the bar of a president at Bush (43) and just because you followed him doesn't give you a pass on anything.

This isn't a note on Obama, it is a note for the people who like to use the lame excuses.

:facepalm: OK, MS....be amused. If you are referring to my post in particular I'd ask you to consider the fact that guys like Clinton, JFK, Eisenhower and even George Washington made recess appointments. I wasn't using Bush as an excuse for Obama....simply providing a recent example. The point is....this tactic is nothing new.

http://www.commentarymagazine.com/article/a-short-history-of-the-recess-appointment/

monicasilver
2012-01-05, 23:09
:facepalm: OK, MS....be amused. If you are referring to my post in particular I'd ask you to consider the fact that guys like Clinton, JFK, Eisenhower and even George Washington made recess appointments. I wasn't using Bush as an excuse for Obama....simply providing a recent example. The point is....this tactic is nothing new.

http://www.commentarymagazine.com/article/a-short-history-of-the-recess-appointment/

I am amused.

I wasn't referring to your post. I find them pretty well though out. I thought I agreed with your premise because I'm not sure if this is an issue or not.

I was commenting on Ike Stain's jumping right to the Invasion of Iraq. Just seemed like more of the same I hear from some. Don't address the issue, just say Bush (43) did worse.

I think what you did was actually discuss the point. It certainly is ok to discuss precedents. There are moments I think that if Obmam blew someone's brains out, there are those who would respond "Bush invaded Iraq".

Jagger69
2012-01-05, 23:13
I am amused.

I wasn't referring to your post. I find them pretty well though out. I thought I agreed with your premise because I'm not sure if this is an issue or not.

I was commenting on Ike Stain's jumping right to the Invasion of Iraq. Just seemed like more of the same I hear from some. Don't address the issue, just say Bush (43) did worse.

I think what you did was actually discuss the point. It certainly is ok to discuss precedents. There are moments I think that if Obmam blew someone's brains out, there are those who would respond "Bush invaded Iraq".

Gotcha. No harm, no foul. :thumbsup: